Bye-Bye Twitter

I have left another social media platform, Twitter. I had long considered leaving, but Elon Musk buying the company was the final feather for me.  I archived my data and deactivated my account. It didn't feel as liberating as when I deactivated my Facebook account, but that's probably because I hadn't really used Twitter in a long time. I'd also never used it quite like I did Facebook. I don't think I'll miss Twitter. 

Based on what I've seen in the news thus far about how Twitter is now being managed, I'm quite certain I made the right decision. It seems the platform is headed in a direction that's antithetical to the way I live my life and the way I want to move about the world.

Inviting hate into my life is unproductive.

There comes a time when we have to decide if a company that is antithetical to our values deserves our patronage. I have decided neither Facebook nor Twitter deserve mine. The benefits I get from either one don't outweigh the cost of being on them. You might come to a different conclusion, and that is your decision to make. This is mine.

There are other companies I struggle with but cannot seem to break my ties with for myriad reasons. In those, so far, the benefits outweigh the costs.

Last weekend, I read an article about the difference in social networks and social media. As I read it reminded me that I joined these platforms looking to expand my network by reconnecting with old contacts, finding better ways to connect with current contacts, and making new contacts. At first I was grateful to the platforms for giving me a way to communicate with people, especially those I'd long ago lost contact with and missed. Those connections even lead to some in-person meetups. 

Over time, I began to feel increasingly disappointed in the superficiality of the connections on social network sites as they transitioned into less personal information. I found myself starting to lose respect for people I'd long respected. There was something about the idea of conversation that got lost in the vitriol that seemed to take over during this transition. This lead to my decision to leave Facebook after it began to take a toll on my mental and emotional wellbeing.

I was still trying to network on sites that became increasingly about sharing media.

Toward the end of my time on both sites, I'll readily admit, I fell into the trap as well. I was sharing media rather than connection information. I was also presenting a much rosier life than I actually lived because that's what we do, especially once I joined Instagram and most of my posts were shares from my Instagram account. Oh, the hikes! The golf! The views! The plays! The concerts! The trips! Leave out the blisters, the stubbed toes, the turned ankles, the grumpy exhaustion, the long drives, the stress, the disagreements, the cramped airplane rides, the dashes through the airports...  I was becoming a pro at presenting "the good life" I lead! And, yet, I prided myself on "authenticity"!

Which reminds me, I also deactivated my Instagram account a while back.

Life has felt so much better without Facebook and Instagram! I am sure I won't miss Twitter either.

So, Bye-Bye Twitter.

My website, tlcooper.com, won't be going anywhere. I can always be contacted there.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Benefits to Buying Books

Dona Nobis Pacem