The Dark Side of Gratitude

Several years ago I embarked on a year long effort to bring more positivity into my life by focusing on gratitude. As part of this I meditated every morning on gratitude, posted daily, unique gratitude statements on Facebook, and made a gratitude list in my gratitude journal each evening. I thought this would be an enlightening, inspiring uplifting journey, and for the most part it was. So much so I have continued to do parts of the practice I put in place then.

There came a point though when practicing gratitude exposed things that weren't working as well in my life as I'd thought, or at least wanted to believe. I shrugged it off at first and focused on the things that inspired gratitude. But, the more I focused on gratitude, the more I became aware of my tendency to ignore the negative things in my life. It was easier. It felt better. However, ignoring them didn't put me on a path to finding solutions.

Even as I started to see some of the past events in my life through a lens that allowed me to feel gratitude for the lessons I learned from some of my more painful experiences, I also found it increasingly difficult to suppress the things that weren't quite right in my life.

As I faced those things I'd long ignored, gratitude often offered me a way to re-contextualize them in order to deal with them.  Often as I sat down to think about what brought me gratitude, these things that I didn't want to face popped up and stayed with me. They begged for my attention in ways that made me realize that if I didn't deal with them, I couldn't truly feel the gratitude I wanted to feel.There were days it hurt so much I didn't know how I'd survive.

Feeling positive emotional reactions also opened me up to the negative emotional reactions I so often tried to avoid. I felt opened up and vulnerable and raw. I couldn't hide my own emotions from me anymore.

I planned to write a book exploring how gratitude changed my life by revisiting each gratitude statement I posted on Facebook over a year's time and exploring what I learned. I worked on this book for several years, and I never could get it quite right. 

As I worked on the book, I realized just how much life changes from day to day, month to month, year to year, and how much it also stays the same. I also came in direct contact with all the lessons I've learned since that year and how they had nothing to do with the gratitude I practiced at that time. We are always learning and growing.

More importantly as I edited the manuscript, the dark side of gratitude seemed to pour off the pages as some of my observations felt both disingenuous and inauthentic, the exact opposite of what I wanted, because of changes in my life. As I struggled to fix those issues, I felt increasingly disconnected from what I was writing. I eventually admitted to myself I couldn't publish the book in the form I'd written it.

I don't know what will happen with the manuscript. There are some things in it that might end up inspiring some blog posts or possibly an entirely different book from the one I planned to write. I'm exploring possibilities.

Over the years, I started to resent my efforts to feel grateful, especially when I had days filled with reasons to feel ungrateful, even though they also held reasons to be grateful. I wanted gratitude to be the panacea for everything that went wrong in my life, but it wasn't.

Something increasingly bothered me about practicing gratitude. To whom was I grateful? I couldn't quite figure that out. Most of the things I felt grateful for were things I'd worked for or relationships I'd cultivated. They weren't things or people that appeared magically or were given to me. I found it better for everyone involved to express gratitude directly to the people who did kind things for me, gave me a gift, or otherwise positively influenced my life.

As I wrote my gratitude list every night, I started to feel like it was a habit I paid very little attention to. It had become rote, thoughtless, sometimes even inauthentic. It felt increasingly like a chore I just had to get done instead of a way to connect with the positive in my life, especially on nights when I was tired and really just wanted to go to sleep. The more I asked myself who I was grateful to for this thing I did or that thing I did or particular people's presence in my life, the more I resented writing the nightly list.

When I started practicing gratitude, it felt empowering; however over time it started to feel dis-empowering. It felt like I was losing my value along the way. It felt like I was devaluing myself every time I wrote that I was grateful for something I did myself as if the accomplishment was gifted to me instead of my own effort. At times, I even felt guilty when I'd leave certain things or people off the list. This wasn't what I imagined practicing gratitude was meant to be.

I didn't quite understand why I felt this way, and I fought it. I fought it hard. I kept telling myself I wasn't being grateful enough. I kept telling myself the problem was me. I kept telling myself if I could just be better... I kept telling myself if I could just get it right... If I could just be perfect... Oh, yes, those old tropes started bleeding into my gratitude practice.

But, news flash, I wasn't broken. I was trying to fix something that wasn't broken. I was trying to find something that wasn't lost.

Recently as I sat in bed, exhausted and just wanting to go to sleep, I felt pressured to write my gratitude list. All I could think was "I really don't want to do this anymore." I finally wrote something about being grateful that I didn't have to write a gratitude list to be grateful, and that's when something clicked. 

I can feel appreciative for the people and things and experiences in my life without making a nightly list. I truly can. 

Practicing gratitude bridged a gap for me that allowed me to heal and grow, and I appreciate that immensely; however, I think it's time for me to change the way I approach appreciating the good in my life, to discover my own way of feeling and expressing appreciation that empowers me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Benefits to Buying Books

Dona Nobis Pacem